A key issue for aspiring and current salespeople and sales managers is an understanding of the most important factors in selling. A study by Marshall et al (2003) asked sales managers to identify the skills and knowledge required to be successful in selling. Their top ten success factors were:
1. Listening skills
2. Follow-up skills
3. Ability to adapt sales style from situation to situation
4. Tenacity-sticking to the task
5. Organizational skills
6. Verbal communication skills
7. Proficiency in interacting with people at all levels within an organization
8. Demonstrated ability to overcome objections
9. Closing skills
10. Personal planning and time management skills
That was the view of sales managers. But the coin of selling has another side-buying. What do you as a consumer or business buyer think of this list?
Herman Alvaranga educates marketing and sales people.